Thursday, October 2, 2008

A nice hike in the rain.

Summit!

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to hike/run Mt. Ascutney. I see it every time I take the highways to work, but have never tried the hikes. So I did my morning chores and left in the rain and fog.

Took me almost 45 minutes to get to the trail head on rte 44 just outside of Windsor. I followed the "Brownsville Trail", listed as taking 3.2 miles to reach the summit. Drizzled lower, but then when I got into the cloud bank, the rain started to fall hard. At one point, I thought it was hailing, but it turned out just to be sleet. Phew.

The trail is pretty rocky, and there are many, many roots. Near the top there are several little bogs in the middle of the trail, and one of them swallowed my left sneaker. It is no longer as birght green as the other one....hmmmm.......

Made the round-trip 6.4 miles in just under 3 hours (2:54:15), which I am pleased with. Soaked, I dried off and headed home, feeling tired but refreshed.

Thank you, T, for 'letting' (encouraging) me to get out and play!!!! I love you, +1!

No comments: