Saturday, October 11, 2008

When good ideas go bad

This entry is very unlike any other that I have done. It is not up-beat, informative, thought provoking, or enlightening. It is a RANT. Beware. Be warned.
I am presently at APD, having been asked to cover an eleven pm to seven am shift. I will get paid to sleep, if ever I get to sleep. I have been offered the empty bed in room one, but I can't seem to get my mind to shut off. I am hoping that putting some things down here will help to get them out of my head. My best friend says that it works for her, and I am willing to give it a try.
Things at work are getting more and more out of control. The lunatics are running the asylum, and management either has no idea that this is happening, or they do have an idea, but have chosen to do absolutely nothing about it.
My life at work used to be such that I could come and go on a daily basis, do my assigned tasks, leave at the end of the day, and be done with it. The goings on in other areas of the 'house' had little to no impact on me. Philosophies, practices, and politics had no place in my life. I had fewer headaches.
Recently I get one every day around 1400. Some days it lasts until 1900 or so, even if I take acetamenophen 1000mg PO. Nothing seems to touch it......and don't even get me started on the sleep thing. Insomnia is back. Well, I can fall asleep, usually at the drop of a hat if I have been idle (physically) for more than 5 minutes. Thing is that I don't STAY asleep. Last night I took Benadryl 25mg (1 tablet) before I went to bed, but then had a really strange dream that we were being forced to adopt one of the daycare kids. After I got to work, I had cotton mouth until I drank almost a liter of water.
But that isn't the problem. Sleep, mood, headaches, etc. are all just symptoms of the problem. My fear is that the problem cannot be fixed, either here or anywhere, so the only real resolution is for ME to get fixed. What I mean is that for my mental survival, it seems as though I must adapt my ways of thinking about work to make it such that work is tolerable, or even enjoyable, given the current circumstances, philosophies, and direction (or lack there of) that exists at APDMH.
Ok. I need to sleep. Or at least try. Ever tried to sleep in a hospital without medication? Especially when your day job has your brain very attuned to listening for things out of the 'norm'? Little beeps, changes in breathing patterns, changes in body positioning, etc. Yep. Maybe that's a reason I don't sleep well for very long; my brain is always listening.
Thank you for your time. Feel free to leave comments.
Peace, yo!

No comments: